Sunday, February 06, 2011

Immortal Honours Rest on Jesus' Head

This glorious hymn chokes me up every time I sing it, for it reminds me of my constant dependance on my awesome Saviour Jesus Christ, and how He will supply all that I need. It makes me smile too, for exactly the same reasons.
Immortal honours rest on Jesus’ head;
My God, my portion, and my Living Bread;
In Him I live, upon Him cast my care;
He saves from death, destruction, and despair.
He is my Refuge in each deep distress;
The Lord my strength and glorious righteousness;
Through floods and flames He leads me safely on,
And daily makes His sovereign goodness known.
My every need He richly will supply;
Nor will His mercy ever let me die;
In Him there dwells a treasure all divine,
And matchless grace has made that treasure mine.
O that my soul could love and praise Him more,
His beauties trace, His majesty adore;
Live near His heart, rest in His love each day;
hear His dear voice and all His Will obey.
 --- William Gadsby (1773 - 1844)

We sing it to Eventide, which is also the tune for "Abide with me," which amuses me a little, because my mother *hates* "Abide with me" because it sounds so mournful and dirge-like. Indeed she threatens that if we play it at her funeral she'll pop out of her coffin and tell us to stop it immediately. (I quite like this song to that tune, but shhh, don't tell her!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this hymn too. Try it to Huntingdon, that is lovely too. You will probably only find the score to this in Christian Hymns published by the Evangelical Movement of Wales but you can find midi tracks on line. Might help keep your Mum happy

Beckie said...

Thanks! Will look that one out.