Saturday, August 02, 2014

Garlic Harvest

I've been growing garlic for a few years now. I first grew it in a pot on a balcony in the East End of London! It is easy to grow and pretty tolerant to novice gardeners, but no-one needs to know that.


One of the traditional, and attractive, ways to present garlic is in a braid. However, before you can get to braiding, you need to get rid of all of the dirt, mud, roots and excess flaky bits.


Beware, this is a rather dusty, messy business, so make sure there is newspaper down or you have a good dustpan and brush. Then braid away! I used the instructions here.


Finally, take gratuitous photos!

2 comments:

The Foggy Knitter said...

Yummy, I adore garlic. I recently came across a French recipe in an Elizabeth David recipe (in Summer Cooking I think) for chicken on a bed of 2-3lb of garlic! The garlic is then eaten like a vegetable with the chicken. Joanne Harris also has a great looking recipe for garlic soup in one of her books.

Beckie said...

Me too! Roasted garlic is simply wonderful - I spread it on toast and then avoid people for 24-48 hours!